• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

"Black Outs" after Standing Up

leiphos

Bluelighter
When I stand up from a sitting or (more often) prone position, I get a weird tingling feeling in my head, a kind of pressure, and I become disoriented and my vision goes black to some extent, and what I can see becomes very pixilated.

Sometimes it's worse than other times. Last night I got up from lying down and started walking down my hall. After a few steps, my vision flooded with black, I forgot where I was, what I was doing, and I fell onto the ground. I think I might have very briefly lost consciousness, because when I got up I was confused as to what was going on, and I stumbled into the kitchen even though I had originally intended to go to the bathroom. It took me a few seconds to remember why I had even gotten up in the first place, and to register what had just happened. Usually it's not as bad as that, but often I have to sit down when I get the feeling so that I don't fall over.

I'm a bit worried about this. I wonder if it has something to do with blood pressure. I really have no idea, though. Has anyone had similar experiences, or maybe know what kind of condition I'm describing / what causes it? I've tried using various search engines for help, but came up dry.

Thanks.

I get something similar sometimes. I call them head rushes.

If I'm squatted down, or lying with my neck at a severe angle to my body, and stand up, then I can experience what you describe.

Never thought much of it.

Could be a blood pressure thing, iron levels or something else. Try measuring your heart rate and blood pressure right after it happens next time. It would go a long way in narrowing the problem down for a doctor( or google ).

^It has to do with blood distribution. Usually your body can adjust teh blood distribution when you stand up or shift positions by increasing BP.

There could be things that cause it-- are you on medication? Do you take nough fluids? Do you have blood sugar issues? Does your clothing allow for free circulation (do you wear tight pants or jocks)? It could be general circulation problems. Here is a good and simple page with explanation.

Lastly, this being BL, are you doing drugs? This was a frequent experience for me after stimulant binges-- sometimes it would involve fainting as well. If it has reached this point, lay off, get frequent massages, enough fluids, and eat well.

I get this on accasion aswell. Especially if i stand up too quickly; my blood pressure drops and my vision goes black.

And Dtergent is right about stims aiding in this. About 2 weeks ago i fainted from standing up too quicklly after having a weekend binge on several empathogens and psychedelics (mephedrone, mdma, 2c-x's)

It is called postural hypotension, and yes, it does have to do with blood pressure.

Wow! Thanks so much; after some reading, it seems to be precisely what my condition is. That cleared a lot up.

And no, Dtergent, it hasn't shown any connection to drug use. In fact, it's happened a lot more recently, and I haven't used drugs much for the past two months.

It is blood pressure... the other night for the first time in my life I fainted, and I had the same symptoms you are describing right before it happened. My vision got black and cloudy, I felt tingly and heavy and my ears were ringing, next thing I knew my friend was asking me if I was ok and I was on the floor. After doing a lot of research I have come to the conclusion that this was the result of a sudden drop in blood pressure. Make sure you are eating enough and drinking plenty of water, a little cardio cant hurt either. If you do feel the onset of symptoms try to get in a position where your head is lower than your heart or lay on your back and lift your legs off the ground to encourage blood flow.

And no, Dtergent, it hasn't shown any connection to drug use. In fact, it's happened a lot more recently, and I haven't used drugs much for the past two months.

Sometimes this happens to me if I haven't been eating properly (i.e. blood sugar level issues) or if I haven't been sleeping enough. Could either of these things be a contributing factor for you??

This used to happen to me more often than it does now. In my case it 'was' due to low blood pressure. I was told to drink more water, eat bananas (?)...basically try to get more calories in. Hope you get your issue sorted out.

This is also called Orthostasis. I had this for a long time, and eventually it got bad enough that I would start passing out. It turned out that I was malnourished.

Eat more calories, drink more water.

Yeah its a Head Rush.If the dope u use makes ur blood pressure goe really high or really low u stand up too quick and then ur brain doesnt get enough of oxygen and u lose brain cells.We done a trick in early days at school.u duck.u breath deeply yet fast and after about 20 good deep fast breaths u hold ur last breath.Dont breath at all and then stand up quickly.U will get a rush of u could faint down.ive even had cramps when i fainted.i was all like shakin and my friend even had some white shit comin out of his mouth.I dont really remember but its kinda vogue.

Head rush also happens naturaly when u at the age of about 12 cuz u growin up n shit.

Are you on SSRI's, by any chance? They are notorious for that.

Leiphos that sammeeeee thing happens to me alll the damn time... like its not in sequence, it just randomly happens

the worst time was when i woke up one morning and went straight to the bathroom to pee and i felt a head rush coming... next thing i remember was hearing my mom yell my name and i was looking at the bottom of the cabinet in the bath because i had blacked out and hit the deck... weird stuff, but no idea why it happens

you ever get sinus infections that cause horrific headaches?

Wow! Thanks so much; after some reading, it seems to be precisely what my condition is. That cleared a lot up.

damn that does hit the spot, i just read about it

Heaps of people get this, id even say its rather normal. If your sitting down and you stand up suddenly and say "whoa head rush" and sit back down I bet almost everyone standing around you knows what your talking about. Just wear pants when you do it, some people get offened it seems.

Are you on SSRI's, by any chance? They are notorious for that.

I take 50mg sertraline and boy does it cause those head rushes. Sometimes even if im just sitting and get up too quick i can get it. I have also blacked out a couple times.

I know my blood pressure is a little low. Possibly related to the sertraline?

Anyone know any good supplements for blood flow or circulation?

I know capsaicin, or hot peppers are good for that. Ill use it if my feet or hands are cold, gets the blood going it seems. I wonder if supplementing capsaicin in capsules a couple times a day could help me out. It gets pretty annoying getting lightheaded often.

Oh man.. i been getting this shit a lot and been getting worse as I got older. I noticed after alcohol, mdma, and marijuana it seems to occur frequently in me. When i used to take ephedrine or pseudoephedrine this was a constant (very single time I got up) and i know those medicines mess with ur blood pressure bigtime.